Saturday, 10 March 2012
Yet more butterflies. I think most people like them. I discovered by accident that I must be quite fond of them when I started to realise how many butterfly images I actually own in one form or another. Again the idea was found on you tube but oh my goodness, I threw soooo many pieces of paper in the scrap box for nursery. I just couldn't get it to work. Mind you I was trying to simplify the design and change the dimensions too. Not recommended!! When I stuck to the instructions it worked but I was then able to simplify it a bit and take out some of the fiddly measuring. The tutorial is called 'surprise box card' on you tube and provided by www.frenchiestamps.com. The paper I've used is fancy pants design " rusted sun'sunny'." The butterfly is one of the first I ever bought for my cuttlebug and is a set of cutting and embossing folders. We applied the ink (spiced marmalade distress ink) directly onto the embossing folder and this was then transferred to the cut out shape as it was embossed. We used a punch from EK success for the borders and another for the tag the butterfly is on. It was punched once from ivory and twice from orange card then both orange ones were cut in half, one lengthways the other across the short way. The lengthways pieces were trimmed a little and then attached above and below the ivory topper. The short ends were then matched up to make it look as if the orange is a whole piece slightly bigger than the original. Hope this isn't too confusing. If you get stuck let me know and I'll try and take a few photos of the process! The little tags can be included as a gift and were punched with a clippy punch I've had but hardly used.
Well not quiet a green and yellow basket but almost. I must say I had planned something completely different than this for Tuesday evening class, but when I came across the idea I was a complete basket case. I've made 8 so far and all those papers I've been hoarding? What a great way to use them up!
On the other hand I always fear I'm gonna push the class so hard they won't come back!! Lol. This creation is made from 12" square card and paper and takes just over a sheet of each. The version we made in class was much plainer and began as a 6"square. If you want to see them they're on Cleo crafts blog page. Instructions can be found at thelittleblueroom.com. If you go to the drop down tab 'the desk' and scroll way down you'll find them. Lots of other ideas there to inspired you.
This one will go to my lovely mum with the fuschia card and I'll have to find something to put in the basket too.
Saturday, 3 March 2012
I know I was supposed to put photos on yesterday but a friend reminded me that she was heading to Norma T's class today and I didn't want to spoil the surprise for her. I've been busy in the craft room but have decided I'm going to use some of the ideas in class so will hold off posting them till they're taught!
Meanwhile this is a card made with the doily and flower. The background paper is a Kate Knight design which came as a gift in a mag. I used the cut-offs to decorate the front of the envelope. The butterfly is punched out of the card I dragged through the cosmic shimmers while they were still wet on the protective sheet. Waste not want not!!
These magnificent fuschias are all thanks to the brilliantly talented Norma. I had a great time at her class last week and still can't believe how amazing these turned out. Margaret C I know you will love making them with Norma too!! These are so 3d that they need to be posted in a box but I honestly think they are well worth the wee bit extra expense. I think my mum is going to get this card on 18th for Mother's Day.
Thursday, 1 March 2012
The second card is a decorated squash fold. This is basically a tea bag fold only done bigger and can also be extended to make a mini book. It's amazing that how that wee bit of glamour dust just gives it a lift.
The green behind the topper was embossed in the Cuttlebug but it doesn't really show up too well. We started off with an 8" square and the finished piece is 4". The dandelion is from Stampendous. It was inked and stamped twice so the second image was paler. The bamboo in the top right corner is a Papermania V&A clear stamp. The edges were distressed with fired brick and a tiny bit of peeled paint distress inks. The organza ribbon was trapped behind the topper with the foam pads used to raise it up.
Well I did promise to update you today but I got into the craft room and everything just seemed to work out so it was hard to drag myself away. I will upload some photos tomorrow. Meanwhile this was one of the cards we made in class this week.
It is a CASE of one I saw on vervestamps.blogspot.com. I reversed the colour scheme and put less bling on too. Love how it turned out. It's good to get more spring time colours and a bit of freshness into the card making again and when it's a beautiful day it's even more reason to praise God and rejoice!!